How to Prepare for Your PET/CT Scan
You may take your regular medications as prescribed, EXCEPT diabetic medications.
24 hours before your appointment:
- Avoid all caffeine and sugar, including fruits.
- Avoid strenuous physical activity or exercise.
The night before your appointment:
- Eat a high-protein, low-sugar, low-carbohydrate supper consisting of any meat, eggs and vegetables.
- DO NOT eat or drink dairy products, potatoes, pastas, cereals, breads, corn, peas, carrots, fruits and sugar.
Four hours before your appointment:
- DO NOT eat or drink anything except water (if you are diabetic, stop food and drink six hours before your scan).
One hour before your appointment:
- Drink two glasses of water.
What else you need to know:
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing, without metal if possible.
- Leave jewelry at home if possible.
- Wear your hearing aid, glasses and/or dentures.
The exam will take about three hours from start to finish. Let the scheduler know if you are:
- Sensitive or allergic to latex
- In need of pain medication for exam
Also tell your scheduler if you’ve had a prior PET/CT scan at another location.
Contact us at 319-294-1899.