Ready to add a rainbow of colorful fruits and vegetables to your plate? Take our 10-Day Salad Challenge!
- Eat at least one salad per day for 10 days.
- Stick to low-calorie, low-fat dressings (vinaigrettes are good, homemade dressings even better.)
- Don’t skimp on protein, especially if you’re being treated for cancer. Add lean protein to your salad, such as fish, chicken, nuts or seeds. Seeds may include sunflower, pumpkin (pepita), hemp, chia and flax.
- With increased fiber, increase your water intake. Drink at least eight 8-oz. glasses of water per day.
- Make it your goal to eat more veggies than you normally do.
- Use our salad recipes as a guide, subbing out items you don’t like for a comparable item that you love, say, red pepper instead of cherry tomato. Swapping bacon for a vegetable is not allowed. 😊
- Remember to vary your choice of vegetables and fruits, incorporating all the colors of the rainbow.
- Choose low-fat, low sugar dressings, limiting serving size to one-two tablespoons. If you’re using a creamy dressing, put it in a side dish. Dip your fork in the dressing and then into the salad. You’ll taste the dressing with every bite, but the amount of dressing you consume will be greatly reduced.
- Steer clear of danger zones, such as processed meats, bacon, croutons and full-fat cheeses.
To make it easy to reach the goal of 10 salads, we’re providing you with 20 recipes to choose from:
- Baby Kale Salad with Strawberry and Avocado
- Broccoli Raisin Salad
- Clementine, Avocado and Romaine Salad
- Crispy Cabbage Lettuce Wraps
- Cucumber Salad in a Cylinder
- Cucumber, Tomato and Avocado Salad
- Farmer’s Market Salad
- Fresh Greens Salad with Savory Avocado
- Kohlrabi Salad with Cilantro and Lime
- Multi-Vegetable Chopped Salad
- Pear, Cucumber and Avocado Bowl
- Salad for Beautiful Skin
- Seven-Layer Salad
- Southwestern Chopped Salad with Cilantro
- Spinach Romaine Summer Salad
- Spinach Salad with Citrus Fruit and Raspberry Dressing
- Strawberry Poppyseed Salad
- Stuffed Avocado Salad
- Taco Salad
- Ultimate Summer Salad Recipe
Mix It Up with Dressings
Don’t forget the salad dressing! Choose from our recipes to change up the flavor:
In addition to our recipes, have fun finding your own salads. Here are several good websites to get you started: